Sunday, April 19, 2015

Vintage Television

Hey guys and dolls! 
Today I will be talking about some of my favorite vintage television shows! Growing up I was always with my grandparents, and my great grandma Kathy so of course I was always surrounded by old television shows. As I got older I started to love them more and more, and once they started coming out on DVD and at times blu ray I become a collector.

First up we have one of my all time favorite shows The Twilight Zone.

You are traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. Your next stop, the Twilight Zone!
The Twilight Zone was created by a man named Rod Sterling that aired from 1959 to 1964. It featured unrelated episodes with different themes that ranged from thriller, drama to horror and science fiction. It was also the starting point for many famous stars during the 60s.

I grew up watching The Twilight Zone with my Father every Saturday Morning when the Sci-Fi/Syfy channel would show reruns. I fell in love with it and was one of my favorite shows growing up but was never able to talk about it with other since other children and teenagers had no idea what I was talking about. I grew distant from it once the Sci-Fi/Syfy channel stopped showing it, but I found it on Amazon Prime and Netflix and instantly fell in love again.

Batman
Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, Batman!
Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, Batman!
Batman, Batman, Batman!
Batman was a live action television show that aired from 1966 to 1968, and was based on the character Batman from the DC comic books. The series took you on adventures of two crime fighters Batman (Adam West) and Robin (Burt Ward) in the city of Gotham.

I sadly cannot say that I have loved the Batman television show for that long or even knew about the series until recently, but I have always loved the comic book, and cartoon shows of Batman. About a year ago my cable company added a channel called Me-Tv that shows old time televisions shows, and on Saturday they have Sci-Fi Saturday that features shows such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Women, Star Trek, and then a old Sci-Fi movie. I learned about the live action Batman show I instantly feel in love and ended up pre ordering the blu ray collection of the Batman Series.

I Love Lucy
I love Lucy and she loves me. Were as happy as two can be. Sometimes we quarrel but then. How we love making up again. Lucy kisses like know one can. She's my misses and i'm her man. And life is heaven you see. Cause I Love Lucy. And she loves me.
I believe that I love Lucy is one of the most iconic television shows ever. I have seen Lucille Ball's face on just about everything. As many of us know I Love Lucy is about Lucy Ricardo (Lucille Ball) and her husband Ricky Ricardo (Desi Arnaz) and all the antics that Lucy puts them in. The show also features Fred Mertz (William Frawley) and Ethel Mertz (Vivian Vance) who are Lucy and Ricky's best friends as well as their landlords who join in on the fun whether they like it or not. The show ran from 1951 to 1960, and gave way to two more shows featuring Lucille and Desi. 

I wold say that I Love Lucy was on of the first shows I ever watched in black and white and instantly fell in love. I also found it fascinating how Lucille and Desi were actually married in real life, which is not something you see very often, unless you are watching a reality television show. Whenever I am feeling down I always pop my I Love Lucy DVD and let the laughs and smiles come out. Fun fact for you all, the town where Lucille Ball was born and grew up is only a couple of hours from where I live. They have a museum dedicated to both her and Desi. Sadly I have never been there but I hope to one day.

Leave It to Beaver

When I think of 1950s culture I instantly think of Leave it to Beaver. Although it started in late 1957, I feel that Leave it to Beaver exhibits what every all american 50s family shrived to be. Leave it to Beaver tells the adventures of Theodore or known as "the Beaver", as well as the rest of his family. 

I have a soft spot for Leave it to Beaver since it was a show I use to stay up to watch on Tvland as a child. As I got older though I started to enjoy the show more because I started picking up on the queues for stereotypes and stigmas that the show reinforced about 50s culture, and as a college student that's fascinated with subliminal messages in both media and advertising, this was a show that was still appealing as I got older. One episode I will never forget though is the one when Mr. Cleaver is outside grilling, and Beaver asks him why Mom is not out there cooking. Mr. Cleaver pretty much says that it's because Mrs. Cleaver is a women and that means that she is suppose to stay in the home and in the kitchen, and that grilling is a man's job. It does not offend me, instead it makes me laugh a bit because that's just how the family dynamic was back then.


Those are just a few of my favorite vintage television shows, and I hope to hear about your favorites as well. I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend, and a great week ahead of them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
↑Top